Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Tonight's Dinner: Breaded Seitan Nuggets

Okay, I forgot to take the picture before it was all eaten. Sorry 'bout that.

Thanks to a trip to the States this weekend, I had some seitan to play around with. I can't believe how hard it is to find seitan around here, I always thought it was a staple like tofu. I guess not. Oh well, thank goodness for Wegmans.

Anyway. I marinated the seitan pieces for an hour in a mix of the following:

• 1/4 c soy sauce
• 2 tbsp olive oil
• 1 tbsp mustard
• 1 tbsp minced garlic

Then I coated them, shake'n'bake style, in some breadcrumbs (from the batch I made Sunday), brushed the nuggets with olive oil, and baked at 375F for about 15 minutes (more or less - I wasn't watching the clock so much as whether they were turning golden or not).

They reminded me quite a bit of chicken nuggets, but not as processed. My husband liked them a lot, too. (Believe it or not, the Husband is quite picky, so his approval actually means something. I've just had a good streak lately.)

Rounding out the meal were:

• potatoes, tossed with olive oil, paprika and seasoned salt before roasting at 400F (I put them in the oven 20 minutes before the seitan nuggets, and then left them in when I baked the nuggets); and

• kale, which I am quickly becoming addicted to, cooked as I did on Friday.

So it was a bit of a repeat, but still filling and tasty and all that. Easy enough to make and clean up after, too.

No comments: